Saturday, May 9, 2009

Trade Winds Blowing Again???

I have come to realize that it's not just me anymore. I had a freak-out about 3 weeks ago, about what I was doing, why I was doing it and just.... why in general. I also have to say that I love Erin to death. I love the fact that we have very open communication between us, we talk things out, we worry together, we think together and keep our eye out for each other. My little freak out I had a few weeks ago was basically a brake down in my communication with her. Erin made me realize that it's not "me, the single guy" anymore, who can just make snap decisions about stuff like a job... or a career for that matter, that with every decesion I make has an impact with her, and the family. We sat down and talked things out and made sure that it wasn't the job itself, just a few people AT the job that I wasn't enjoying. So, I'm in it, for the family, for Erin.... for me. I may not love my job, and I may not enjoy everything about it at certain times but I have to deal with those days and really... put my big boy pants on and deal with it.
The other reason I love her, she's always thinking about us and about me, putting us before herself a lot of times. I look at her, working a job she's not so happy with at the moment, and talking to her and listening to how frustrated she feels when she comes home, I'm surprised she hasn't had a freak out and has actually left (puts a lot of things into perspective for me and where I sit every day.) She's helped me figure out that sometimes you just have to deal with it, keep driving in every day and do your job and go home. I've now realized that it's best to talk out what I'm feeling, and how I'm feeling as well (I know, guys talking about feelings *SHOCK*, right?). It's part of the open communication that I love about us.
So, back to the title of the Blog (the previous was just a lead up to what I had in mind). Erin brought an idea to mind a few days ago. Now, it's quite an interesting idea that I haven't thought of before and has made me think, go through the pro's and con's in my mind (this will be the "open communication" part between me and Erin) about this budding opportunity. Now, I may not be 100% sold about where I'm working now but I do enjoy a lot about what I do, and if/when I DO jump to something else, I have to be ready to stick with it for longer than 20 months. See, I'm still trying to figure out what to do when I grow up. I've pretty much re-invented myself 3 to 4 times and I'm getting tired of trying to figure it out really. I can't complain about what I've done in the past, it's given me a lot of great skills that I wouldn't have gotten by just watching TV saying "Gee, that would be cool to learn a little bit about..." I've also met a lot of great people in those 3 to 4 events, that have taught me that sometimes you just need to make a jump, and that there is something for everyone. And also, every opportunity always leads to another at some point in time.
I'm open to learn more, I'm open to change (so to speak) and I do enjoy a challenge as well. I do know a couple of guys who were my age a few years back and had, I'm assuming, the same talk with themselves to see where things were going, how things were going and where they were heading. I do have to remember though that, this next change will have to be my last for a long time because, I know myself that I just can't be job hopping for no more than 12 to 20 months and expect things to come out alright. Eventually, it will bite me in the ass.
But, whatever happens within the next 3 months to 3 years, I'll have that family unit at home to talk things out, vent my frustrations and have someone in my corner, someone to hug when I've had a hard day and kick my ass when I need it... And this is one of the MANY reasons why I love Erin.

No comments: