Saturday, July 14, 2007

Me and a dream...

So, lately I've been wondering what a guy, like me, should do with his time, where to spend his money and should include as a hobby. Well, looking at a bigger picture I'm wondering why I'm really sweating this really trivial stuff.

I'm reading a novel series by W.E.B. Griffin called the Honour Bound series. It's 3 books all about a WW2 OSS mission to disrupt u-boat replenishing in Argentine waters as, I'm unsure if it's fiction or real or not, Argentina is neutral. The main character, in the 2nd book, inherits a HUGE estancia (Spanish for ranch/farm) from his father (who unfortunately gets killed in the first 10 pages)... they go on to talk about ranch hands, houses for the employee's, and even a church plus a small grass runway. The ranch next door, is roughly 80,000 plus hectares. It's a good series and I've been enjoying this authors books and have started a collection. Thanks dad for introducing me to this author!!

So, where does this leave me and my dream? I don't imagine to have a spread that big, nor do I plan to have servants and my own church. But what I WOULD like to have is my own piece of sky, land... to be away from the big city and enjoy life to the fullest extent. I want to lead a peaceful existence where when you ask for help, someone doesn't have "other plans."

What am I talking about mainly... where do I plan to have this... piece of sky, land or whatever it is I dream of. Ideally, I'd love to have an average of roughly anywhere between 20 and 80 acers, around max, an hour away from a big city and maybe 20 to 10 minutes away from a small town. I want a homestead as well... modest naturally... I want to know what it's like to work hard for a living, to know what it's like to feel like I've accomplished something and feel proud and useful that I have. Along with the homestead, I'd like to have a couple of horses around, and maybe a small little hobby farm like sheep or something small or not. I also want a family of about 2 or 3, to teach them responsibilities and priorities.

Believe me when I say that I had a completely different direction to where this blog was going to go (I gave up calling it a *message thinggy*, it's easier to type blog... *sigh*)... but reading my book I realized that this had to take a seriously different direction. Now that I've covered about 2 of the 5 "W'"s and the 1 "H", now all that's left is Who, Where and When. Sad to say, I couldn't tell ya. I'm hoping to find myself a farm girl as she knows about hard work and could teach me a thing or two about it. Where? Well, land is cheaper the farther north you go... maybe Ft. Saskatchewan NE of Edmonton... closer to home and to mom and dad as well. Now, as for When... that's the tricky part. I'm in no real position to be buying land, especially since the oil sands are gaining and gaining in popularity, especially since they are discovering oil farther and farther south and east.

I don't know where I'm going to end up, or what's going to happen in my future, but I do believe in destiny and a reason for everything. It is a dream, and something I think I'll end up working towards, if not 20 acers, maybe 5 but this is totally something that I want to have or end up with. I don't know where anyone else's dream ends up but I hope they are as grand as ever and that your working towards them.

~Chris

No comments: