Thursday, March 12, 2009

I miss my car....

Ok, so this touches the whole hobby thing again... but I'm not going to go through the whole thing AGAIN as I've done in previous posts, I think I've flogged that horse to death... twice. This is a lament to my car... no, not just ANY car... my 1966 Chevy II. My 4 door coach.... or as in Chevy II/Nova lingo... a Moredoor.
In plain terms... I miss it. I miss the smell (it's had the same smell since dad picked it up in '83 and a quick look of it last Dec 26 years later... yup... same smell), I miss the feel of the 60's era bench seat, the fact that it turns heads and feels great. I remember driving it when I was home for the summer during college in the summer of '98 and enjoyed it then. Now I go home and every time I go to the garage for some small errand my parents need me to do, I see it... sad, under a bunch of stuff where dad has no more storage except... on the car.
My goal for this car is to be able to drive it again. I want to be able to commute in the summer with it, drive it every day, I want to be able to go on road trips in it, go to car shows and show it off and have fun meeting other people and other Nova/Chevy II owners and discuss our trips and plans for the past and future.
To be able to build memories in that car would be my dream. Spending time with the family (right now it just includes a dog, but it'll get bigger in time for sure!!) and bonding. I want to be able to show my kids (I'm hoping they have the bug to be mechanically inclined as I got from my dad) how to replace a tire, change the oil and maybe... just maybe teach them how to do some body work and some welding when they're old enough. I want to be able to have that bond with my future kids, and oh yea... have the old dog follow me where ever I go and lay down and nap when I'm doing whatever I'm doing.
Not to wish for the future to happen tomorrow, but I can't wait. The car wins in the ultimate quest for a hobby, mostly for the events that I've just told you... the money isn't a HUGE issue as it's a passion for me to complete when I've got the time. I've got some good people around me that support me to help eventually make that happen, plus a loving supporting fiancee who understands that I want to do this for our future... and well, for my sanity as well...lol
But that's it for now... Just letting everyone know that... I can't wait......... well, I CAN... but I can't...lol

No comments: