Thursday, March 5, 2009

Still trying to find my hobby, STILL

So, this has been a long drawn out process and as of now, I'm a Hot Rod buildin', R/C playin', beat creating junkie who has too much time on his hands and can't figure out what or where to put his "hobby" money into...lol

The whole beat junkie thing, the more I think about music, the more I want a set of turntables, a sampler (Akai MPC-2000 if you must google it) and a good set of headphones and a half decent laptop to make my music. I'd like to start doing my own rhymes, doing my own samples, kinda Halifax style (take a look at Classified, that cat has some good tracks and he's only gettin' bigger). I'm not too much into that new crap that's hitting the waves, so every time I hit up my fiance's truck, I whip it over to the old school and mid 90's rap/hip hop stations and reliving the old days. The old days being, back in college with my buddy Shannan and listening to him hittin' up the beats and I was really getting into it. Going WAY back to when WinMX was around, I was scouring the searches for the one off mix making some bootleg mix tapes. It some weird way, I miss sittin' in front of the computer mashin' out a good mix to put it out on a CD and try to sell it up. My best mix took me 6 months to make, and another 4 weeks to create an intro and extro. Dunno where those files ever ended up.

I still have my '66 Chevy II sittin' up in Edmonton in my Dads garage. I still am lacking space and money to actually work on it. If you keep reading, you'll understand.

Then... there's R/C. This hasn't really come back, but it's always been in the back of my mind but it's more of a summer thing. Spend all winter cleaning everything, thread-locking every nut, bolt and screw so it doesn't vibrate apart (google RC10-GT). It's a small little R/C truck that runs on Nitro Methane, a tiny little 2 stroke diesel type motor that runs pretty quick!! I was racing actual cars once. I may just end up selling this thing because I'm really not using it and now I have to buy a new motor for it 'cause the last brand new one I bought seized on me. I got it running but I have to take it all apart, clean it all up and you'll never guess what I'm lacking... again. Yup, that good ol' money and space B/S. I've got the space, but this summer will be quite limited with Erin's flower business taking off. The only place I've got to work on this is down stairs, and she'll need the space to make her flower bouquets and other flower stuff. And this now brings me back to.... money. Arg, that green stuff can't fall from the tree fast enough I tell ya!!

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but right now I feel like I'm a 7yr old girl who, last year did ballet and this year is doing tap dance lessons and the year after that I might try gymnastics. Don't get me wrong... it's not like I haven't thought about any of this stuff, the only thing I jumped into with both feet was the R/C truck. So far, that truck has cost me $1400, not including this 2nd motor that I have to buy. I'd like to get into the music thing, but man... that shit ain't cheap either... even used most of that stuff still weighs pretty heavy, and don't get me started on the car. I'm afraid to even start getting into that because it's almost once I start some of those projects on that car you can't stop. Plus I don't have the space to do it.

Now, the car thing can wait. It's been sitting in the family since 1966, it can wait a few more years. These other hobbies, the R/C truck I may end up selling just to get some cash back out of it. It was something that I THOUGHT I wanted to do, but ehh... interest went away after I blew the very first motor in it and really... I only got one good season out of it, and if I remember right, that one season.... was only 3 or 4 rides.

I could got back to bikes... they're cheap enough... but again.... space. I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later, but I think my next biggest hobby is going to be house. Yea, that's right, Erin and I are looking at homes, and I'm sure once we get our OWN place and get settled, we'll find space and I'll have a tonne of other things to keep me occupied...lol I'm sure I'll figure it out, just listening to the old school hip hop and rap this afternoon got me thinking about it, then watching a documentary on DJ's with real records... ehh... It'll call come into place some time I'm sure... for now, I can't wait to buy our first home!!!

No comments: