Monday, August 6, 2007

A Successful Holiday...

Yea, I have to say that that had been one of my better holidays to date. I usually dread the drive home, but this time I didn't. I came home, happy... tired, but happy... enjoyed the time with my parents. I normally can't last 3 or 4 days with them, but this was a great break and enjoyed the visit immensely. I spent WAY too much while I was back home, mostly on stuff that I needed.

I decided to come home a day early, mostly to skip the traffic, but I was just needing some space to myself... some alone time as it were. Getting home, starting to relax from the drive and creating another tornado that blew through my apartment. Driving around the city today, getting some groceries and just escaping the mess I created I came to... not really an epiphany, nor a realization... but a feeling, is probably the best way to put it.

I've moved all my life. Some people who have lived in one place can't fathom the experiences that I've had, and nor can I fathom the people who have lived in one place all their lives. I've been around the world basically... well, Canada and Western Europe anyway... and I can say that each city and town that I've lived in has each had its pro's and con's. I've moved so much that I can honestly say... for the longest time that I haven't had a "home town" to call home or somewhere where I have a history that I've come from. Only within the past 7 years have I called Edmonton my home town, I've got history there now, I've got a good friend base there and most of all... family.

Calgary is now my "home", and no, there isn't the phrase "for now" attached to it. Moving just about once a year jumping from job to job, career to career. I'm still quite young, but I need to start thinking more of a future, more of where I am headed so calling Calgary "home" was needed. So, driving around today... it felt good to be back "home" to be somewhere comfortable, familiar. I now know how mom and dad feel, after 37 years of uprooting everything and starting over and over and over. I also know how one can have a home town and a home. I'm fighting this feeling but I think I may have to accept instead of fight. I think, instead of calling Calgary "home" I should be calling it Home.

~Chris

No comments: