Thursday, August 2, 2007

A lesson in History...

This week, as most of you who read my blog know, I have been on holidays (much needed or not, it was nice to just get away) for the past week. I've come on a mission to rescue some of my toys from growing up. After watching the latest Transformers movie, I felt a sudden hole in my own being and felt the need to reconnect with my youth.

My search isn't going so well, or as well as I had expected. After 20 years of moving and picking up and putting away, being shoved into a corner or in another box... my transformers have gone MIA. I have gone on a full scale search for these toys, my link to the past, my sole imagination growing up basically. I did find a few, a few have escaped to be found plus a few others that I knew were around. My first reaction was "AWESOME!!!" and "SUCCESS!!!" until it sunk in that... wait a minute... this isn't as awesome as I thought it once was. Something has happened to me in the past 15 to 20 years since I've seen them and now I wonder... is it worth bring them out and displaying them? I played with them when I was young, so they are kinda beat up and still thinking... HELL YEA!!!

So what HAS happened to me in the past 15 to 20 years? I can only think of one word, that hits us all hard, whether we like to admit it or not... REALITY. This hits us hard because we have to accept it. We don't necessarily lose our imagination growing up, but it grows up with us as we grow up. Things change, we lose a part of our youth basically. Hence the stuff we keep, or hold on to to remind us of that one time. In some ways I wish I still had that imagination I had growing up. It was very fertile, and plus moving as much as I did and not having the HUGE social structure as I was an only child, it was fantastic. I would marvel my parents as to what I would think of and how I was having fun. I miss those days, and unfortunately they will never to return, as I sit here thinking of how those toys have changed. Not changed physically, but just.... changed in how they are to me. Man, hours of fun, now put into 3 or 4 paragraphs in a blog.

I'm glad I've had this reunion with these toys... helps me remember where I've come from and who I've become growing up. Again, different times, different places, but ALL good memories. I'm still on the hunt for these, may be another visit or two but I'm putting the call out for them from dad, maybe he might be able to find them in his travels in the basement.

~Chris

1 comment:

|:::lockan:::| said...

I think most of my old toys are still in my parents' basement. I'm glad to have them, but there's one toy I could never do without.

I still have my teddy bear that I've had since I was one year old. For the first 10ish years of my life I took this bear everywhere. I could lose every posession I have in a house fire, but if I lost my bear I think I'd be devastated.

My He-man figures, on the other hand, just don't hold much meaning for me anymore.